Updated: 20 July 2020
These are strange times. Royal engagements are cancelled or postponed, including big celebrations. Weddings are likely to be postponed too, because in many countries you can not even have guests. All we can hope for is a few royal births.
There thus far is a small list of royals and nobles that personally suffered of Covid-19 or even died. Of course it is often not announced whether people died of the Coronavirus or died in a natural way. Of some people however it is known.
The royals and nobles that became ill:
Archduke Karl of Austria, aged 59, reported 10 March 2020, healthy after three weeks, reported on 27 March 2020
- Reigning Prince Albert II of Monaco, aged 62, reported 19 March 2020, he recovered at home and was reported to be healthy again on 31 March 2020
- Prince Pedro de Orléans e Bragança, aged 74, reported 1 April 2020, Earlier in March the family celebrated an engagement party, where several people appear to have been infected
- Maria de Fátima Lacerda Rocha, aged 67, wife of above, reported 1 April 2020
- Prince Antonio de Orleans e Bragança, aged 69, reported 19 March 2020, he was hospitalized.
- Prince Francisco de Orleans e Bragança, aged 64, reported 19 March 2020, he recovers at home
- Prince Alberto de Orleans e Bragança, aged 62, reported 19 March 2020, he recovers at home
- Maritza Ribas Bockel, aged 58, wife of above, reported 1 April 2020
- Prince Charles, The Prince of Wales, aged 71, announced on 26 March 2020, reportedly ended his self-isolation on 30 March 2020
- Andrew Parker Bowles, aged 80, descendant of the Earls of Macclesfield, ex-husband of the Duchess of Cornwall, reported 2 April 2020
- George Brooksbank, aged 71, father-in-law of Princess Eugenie of York, reported 3 April 2020, taken into the intensive care. He spent nine weeks in hospital, but on 20 May 2020 it was reported that he had recovered.
- Nicola Brooksbank, aged 66, mother-in-law of Princess Eugenie of York, reported 3 April 2020, recovering at home
- Supposedly up to 150 members of the Saudi royal family are infected with the virus it was reported by the New York Times on 8 April 2020. Prince Faisal bin Bandar bin Abdulaziz Al Saud is said to be in intensive care. The family is estimated to have about 15,000 members by the way.
- Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna of Russia, aged 66, was reported to have recovered on 19 April 2020.
- Prince Laurent of Belgium on 7 May 2020 said that his wife Princess Claire was ill, but recovered. She didn’t have to go to hospital.
- Princess Béatrice d’Orléans, countess of Evreux, aged 78, on 21 May 2020 said in an interview that she has been ill, but has recovered.
- Prince Joachim of Belgium, aged 28, on 30 May 2020 was confirmed to be ill.
- Jazmin Grace Grimaldi, the illegitimate daughter of Prince Albert II of Monaco on 15 July announced that she had been ill since July 4, but was starting to feel better.
These royals and nobles have officially died of the virus:
- Carlos Falcó y Fernández de Córdoba, 12th Marqués de Castel-Moncayo, 5th Marqués de Griñón, died on 20 March 2020 at the Fundación Jiménez Diaz in Madrid, Spain, aged 83
- Princess Maria Teresa of Bourbon-Parma died on 26 March 2020 at the Hôpital Cochin in Paris, France, aged 86
- Alexander Thynn, the 7th Marquess of Bath, died on 4 April 2020 at the Royal Bath United Hospital in Bath, United Kingdom, aged 87
- Victor Batista Falla died in Havanna, Cuba, on 12 April 2020, aged 87. He was the maternal uncle of Grand Duchess Maria Teresa of Luxembourg.
- AmaRharhabe Queen Noloyiso Sandile née Nomusa Zulu died on 8 July 2020 at Cecilia Makiwane Hospital, Mdantsane township of East London, Eastern Cape, South Africa, aged 56.