There are many magazines and TV-channels that sometimes report about the royals in the world. There are however just very few specialized magazines, not surprisingly they are almost all published in monarchies. Sadly this week it was reported that the Belgian magazine Royals (Extra) will stop being published as off March 2017. The magazine started late 1999 if I am correct, as I remember their second issue covered the wedding of the present-day royal couple Philippe and Mathilde. In the first years the quality of the paper it was made off, was rather poorly. In later years that became better. At one time the magazine was even published in Dutch, French and German. It sometimes had lovely reports, so I am very sorry the magazine will disappear. But which specialized magazines are around? Unfortunately apart from some English language magazines, most of them are only available in the country itself. An overview:
- Alles over Koninklijke Geschiedenis, quarterly magazine in Dutch about royal history.
- Billed Bladet Royal, which seems to be published in Denmark four + 1 times a year.
- European Royal History Journal, quarterly from the USA, mainly about royal history.
- Frau im Spiegel Royal, a fairly new but very nice German magazine about royalty that is published every two months. Since a few years there are a few more magazines appearing once in a while in Germany about royals, but this one is by far the best.
- Gotha Royal, published in France. Apparently not an own website.
- History of Royals, published in Great Britain.
- Hofjournaal, quarterly magazine in Dutch, only on sale in Belgium.
- Kungliga Magasinet, Swedish magazine with six regular issues a year and three special issues.
- Majesty Magazine, montly magazine published in Great Britain.
- Royal Life, appears six times a year in Great Britain.
- Royal Russia, appears twice a year, published in Canada in the English language.
- Royalty, a British montly magazine.
- Royalty, Dutch magazine that appears 10 times a year + two De Oranje issues.
- Royalty Digest Quarterly, appears four times a year. Published in Sweden in English language. Mainly about royal history.
- Vorsten, a montly Dutch magazine (+ a year special) that has appeared since 1973.
Other magazines that regularly have reports about royals and nobles, but are not about royals only, are for example:
- Billed Bladet, a Danish weekly magazine with lots of royal coverage.
- Bunte, German weekly magazine with sometimes quite nice reports about nobles and royals. And happily about the only one still regularly covering noble weddings.
- Hello, weekly British magazine with some royal news and sometimes great extensive reports.
- Hola, weekly Spanish magazine with some royal news and sometimes great extensive reports.
- Paris Match, a French weekly magazine that also has a Belgian version. Some noble and royal coverage, and popular with the Monegasque royals lately.
- Point de Vue, French weekly magazine with lots of noble and royal coverage.
- Royals, a Russian magazine covering celebs and royals.
- Svensk Damtidning, Swedish weekly magazine about celebs and royals.
There are also very few tv-programmes about royals. Unfortunately like the magazine Royals, also the Belgian VTM-Programme “Royalty” has disappeared from television since 2017.
- Audiencia Abierta, A Spanish TV-programme broadcasted on Saturday afternoon.
- Blauw Bloed, a Dutch TV-programme broadcasted almost each Saturday evening, apart from in the Summer.
- NOS Koningshuis, the Dutch NOS tries to report about the biggest royal events in the Netherlands, and sometimes abroad.
- Place Royale, the Belgian weekly TV-programme (in French) by RTL about royals.
- Royalty, the German TV-channel ARD regularly broadcasts royal programmes.
- ZDF Royal, the German TV-channel ZDF regularly broadcasts royal programmes.
If you know of any other magazines or TV-programmes about royals, please let me know. I am very curious to know if there are some I don’t know about yet.